2014年5月5日星期一

Our Own Kind of Sickness


图片取自 River City Reading

  For a long time, the four of us sat in the living room in the kind of brittle silence I'd only ever felt in churches and libraries. The kind everyone is careful not to break. We watched Toby's chest rise and fall, rise and fall, the only proof that he was still with us.

  I saw my mother who stood first. She walked across the room, knelt on the floor nest to Toby, and laid her open palm on his head. I watched as she ran her hand over his soft feathery hair, and even though her back was to me, I think I heard her say, "Sorry." I want to believe that's what I heard. I needed to know that my mother understood that her hand was in this too. That all the jealousy and envy and shame we carried was our own kind of sickness. As much a disease as Toby and Finn's AIDS.

  In the end it was just the two of us in the room. My mother and me. Toby's body stilled, and she reached out and laid her hand on my shoulder. That was how one person's story ended.

Tell the Wolves I'm Home, P348-349
Carol Rifka Brunt
ISBN 978-0-679-64419-4

Mak Xiao Wei(2014.05.04)>>[当周脸书帖子]>>

有关此书阅读分享:



隨意翻開你手邊的一本書的任何一頁,
寫下映入眼簾的第一個句子,
或是寫下你正在閱讀的書籍的句子,
標上書名、ISBN和頁數,當作回應。

閱讀讓思想更有力量,我們一起來讀書。

~ 松露玫瑰 ~


欢迎大家一起参与 周末读书天 My Weekend with Books 阅读分享,互相鼓励 :D >>[简介连接]>>



没有评论:

发表评论