2014年4月27日星期日

Small Good Things


图片取自 River City Reading

  "It's just us now, isn't it?" I said. But even as the words were coming out, I knew it wasn't really true. Finn was always there. Finn would always be there.

  And then I thought something terrible. I thought that if Finn were still alive, Toby and I wouldn't be friends at all. If Finn hadn't caught AIDS, I would never even have met Toby. That strange and awful thought swirled around my buzzy head. Then something else occurred to me. What if it is AIDS that made Finn settle down? What if even before he knew he had it, AIDS was making him slower, pulling him back to his family, making him choose to be my godfather. It was possible that without AIDS I would never gotten to know Finn or Toby. There would be a big hole filled with nothing in place of all those hours and days I'd spent with them. If I could time-travel, could I be selfless enough to stop Finn from getting AIDS? Even if I meant I would never have him as my friend? I didn't know. I had no idea how greedy my heart really was.

  I stood there staring at the sky over Canal Street as it faded from orange to dusty pink. An old lady dragged a shopping cart filled with bags down the street, click click clicking over the sidewalk. The sun kept on with its slipping away, and I thought how many small good things in the world might be resting on the shoulders of something terrible.

Tell the Wolves I'm Home, P233
Carol Rifka Brunt
ISBN 978-0-679-64419-4

Mak Xiao Wei(2014.04.27)>>[当周脸书帖子]>>

有关此书阅读分享:



隨意翻開你手邊的一本書的任何一頁,
寫下映入眼簾的第一個句子,
或是寫下你正在閱讀的書籍的句子,
標上書名、ISBN和頁數,當作回應。

閱讀讓思想更有力量,我們一起來讀書。

~ 松露玫瑰 ~


欢迎大家一起参与 周末读书天 My Weekend with Books 阅读分享,互相鼓励 :D >>[简介连接]>>



没有评论:

发表评论